<data:blog.pageTitle/> <data:blog.pageName/> - <data:blog.title/>
Home
The Platonic Friendship: Do They Really Exist?





Being a naturally boliao person, I felt very inspired to do up this visual chart after I read this article on Thought Catalog. Mainly because R thinks this article that I found very interesting kinda hard to digest as she couldn't understand what the attraction spectrum meant. So there you go, a visual chart to show you how the different levels of attraction show up on the attraction spectrum. 

I really thought this article was pretty interesting because it is quite true, isn't it?
 Attraction shouldn't be a case of a simple black and white, yes or no.
As with all human relations, there is always the grey area. 

So if there is always this grey area, then what happens between a pair of really close male and female friend?
Does the platonic friendship really exist? 

Well, I for one think they they can exist because attraction aside, there is one thing that humans do possess; and that is self control. The self-control to dictate your actions and the logic to analyze what will happen if you proceed with said action. 

While platonic friendships can exist, I also think one should never forget about the attraction spectrum because I feel that both can exist at the same time in one relationship BECAUSE of the above self-control that both parties take to prevent things from escalating. 

There are also many different types of attraction, as seen on the attraction spectrum. Of course at the extreme ends of the attraction spectrum lies the absolute zero attraction and the super passionate one that results in copulation. But everything in between is just grey area. Some attraction can be appeased by the simple act of flirting or in some cases harmless physical touches etc. 



Boys treated friendship the way they treated the sun. It's existence undisputed, it's radiance best enjoyed, not beheld directly.

The above is a quote that really resonated with me when I read A Thousand Splendid Suns. 
It kinda explained why most people think a platonic friendship between a man and a woman does not exist, mainly because these two genders expressed their friendship in different ways and I guess it's easy to just misunderstand the dynamics. 


I asked around a few of my more introspective friends and this is what I got:

"I would believe that there is a certain level of acceptance that man and women cannot be close platonic friends, but for me I think that its only valid for a certain period of time. In the relationship, they might be interested in each other at one time. It might be for a short time, it might not coincide. So the feelings might not result in anything, but I believe that the feelings were there at that time. "

So I guess ultimately it doesn't really matter if people are interested in you.
It only matters that you know what you want.



Labels: ,


Older Post | Newer Post

ABOUT ME


"The only thing I like better than talking about food is eating it." Hi! My name is Sarahh and I love to eat. Hop on to my blog for an exciting journey with me.

CONTACT


Email:dream-oracle@hotmail.com

Subscribe via RSS Follow me on Twitter Subscribe to Flickr Facebook Subscribe to Tumblr

Subscribe via Email

Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Curiouser and Curiouser ?

ADS

The Besty

Search

Archives

Copyright

Creative Commons License
All work on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.