<data:blog.pageTitle/> <data:blog.pageName/> - <data:blog.title/>
Home
Travel Tokyo: かつくら Katsukura - Affordable Quality Tonkatsu





Stumbled upon Katsukura while we were roaming Takashimaya Times Square and I insisted we try it because I've read about it when I did research. 

It was only 4.45pm but we decided to have early dinner since there's no queue! The Japanese are also very good at queuing for good food (so much like  Singaporeans!) so I was quite prepared to have early meals to skip the queues. It's something to keep in mind when you're planning your Japan trips. 



Some side dishes before we began, and these were very refreshing! I believe the yellow ones were Japanese yam! It was made with citrus peel and the yam tasted very sweet and dense. I enjoyed this a lot.  

豚汁

This is a tonjiru soup and I love how it warms you up from the inside. A tonjiru is a pork based broth with other root vegetables such as daikon, carrots and konnayaku.



名物かつくら膳 (2360 Yen. SGD 27) 
Katsukura Specialty Set; Ebi and Hire Katsu

Can you see how long the prawn is!!?! 
That is the longest, fattest, most juicy and delicious prawn I've ever tasted. 
So so so good. I'm salivating now as I write this. 


湯葉コロッケとヒレ膳 (1980 Yen. SGD 22)
Yuba Croquette and Hire Katsu Set

I think this has got to be the freshest and porkiest tonkatsu I've ever had. 


Look at the color of the pork, it's slightly more brown than the ones we usually see in tonkatsu places in Singapore, that's because they use pigs that are locally farmed in Japan. 


Yuba croquette is a seasonal item and this is very interesting. Yuba is a product made from soybeans and it's combined with various local vegetables then deep fried to a golden yellow. Once you cut it open, this creamy white ball of goodness greets you. The white creaminess is yuba mixed in with greens and crunchy pieces of bamboo shoots. This is one amazing dish that blew my mind away.



This is a tonkatsu place worth visiting, you have to make time for it. 
Tip, come early to avoid the queues and peak hour rush. 





In a Nutshell

Verdict: 4/5
Price Point: $$
Thumbs Up: Ambience, delicious quality food
To Improve: I haven't found anything to pick on yet! So wonderful Japan. 
Will I return: YES!
Why: THAT FAT PRAWN. Need I say more? 





Katsukura

Takashimaya Times Square complex, 14F, 
5-24-2, Sendagaya, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 151-0051

Labels: , ,


Older Post | Newer Post

ABOUT ME


"The only thing I like better than talking about food is eating it." Hi! My name is Sarahh and I love to eat. Hop on to my blog for an exciting journey with me.

CONTACT


Email:dream-oracle@hotmail.com

Subscribe via RSS Follow me on Twitter Subscribe to Flickr Facebook Subscribe to Tumblr

Subscribe via Email

Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Curiouser and Curiouser ?

ADS

The Besty

Search

Archives

Copyright

Creative Commons License
All work on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.