<data:blog.pageTitle/> <data:blog.pageName/> - <data:blog.title/>
Home
Hong Kong: Ho Hung Kee Congee & Noodle Shop




There's been a lot of hype about Ho Hung Kee so as a dutiful tourist, here I am to try out the food. Let's see if they live up to their hype.


原汁柱候牛腩面 (53 HKD)
Beef Noodles Soup

First look, not bad. 
The soup looks really light and clear.



Noodles were pretty springy, but the soup, oh the soup. 
Why do restaurants serve up soup dishes with the soup only at lukewarm temperature?
Why oh why???!
Spoils the whole dish honestly, not to have piping hot soup. This dish felt like an afterthought lacking in sincerity, what a disappointment.  

Also, I got yelled at by the waitress just because I wanted to enquire if they serve this dish with kuay teow. The menu stated you can opt to have kuay teow, but the waitress started talking really loudly (getting progressively louder when I huh at her) in Cantonese and I have no idea what the hell she was yelling about.  So off putting, so I said okok to whatever she was yammering about. If I wasn't starving so badly, I would have walked right out and went to eat at the food court downstairs. Honestly, for a restaurant in such an atas setting, I would have expected more from the service staff. This is an even bigger disappointment than the beef noodles. 


翠绿郊外蚝油菜 (38 HKD)
Kailan in Oyster Sauce


This is really good, fresh and crunchy. 
There's a really nice bite to it and the vegetables are so fresh that you can taste a hint of sweetness.



姜葱汁爆鱼腩粥 (72HKD)
Ginger & Onion Fish Porridge

Oh the fish porridge looks like crap but it's actually a bowl of goodness. 
Silky smooth and absolutely flavourful, there were huge chunks of fish inside too. 
It's one of those porridge dishes where you just go gloup gloup gloup, and all of it will be gone in a blink of an eye. All in all, a pretty satisfying dish especially for a cold cold night. 




In a Nutshell

Verdict:3/5
Price Point: $$
Thumbs Up: Excellent porridge. 
To Improve: Beef noodle mehh, service a bigger mehh
Will I return: No. 
Why: If I can get 20 HKD porridge that tastes just as good, why should I come here and have expensive porridge and pay 16.90 HKD for service charge and get yelled at. The porridge is pretty spectacular, but really just not worth the bad service attitude. 





Ho Hung Kee Congee & Noodle Shop
何洪记粥面专家

1204-1205 Hysan Place, 500 Hennessy Road, Causeway Bay. 
Entrances opposite SOGO, Forever 21 and directly from MTR. 



Labels: , , , , ,


Older Post | Newer Post

ABOUT ME


"The only thing I like better than talking about food is eating it." Hi! My name is Sarahh and I love to eat. Hop on to my blog for an exciting journey with me.

CONTACT


Email:dream-oracle@hotmail.com

Subscribe via RSS Follow me on Twitter Subscribe to Flickr Facebook Subscribe to Tumblr

Subscribe via Email

Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Curiouser and Curiouser ?

ADS

The Besty

Search

Archives

Copyright

Creative Commons License
All work on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.