<data:blog.pageTitle/> <data:blog.pageName/> - <data:blog.title/>
Home
Travel Taiwan: Yong Kang Street



Welcome to Yong Kang Street. 
I love the mish-mash of eclectic shops and eateries along this street. Makes exploring rather fun and exciting. 



This is the place where most locals frequent for some xiao long baos and noodles. 



You enter from the kitchen, quite unique. The tables are all upstairs. 



Siew Mai 烧卖

I think these are on par with Din Tai Fung, good but nothing too wow about it. 
Maybe because I still prefer the traditional siew mai with yellow skin 



Mushroom Noodle Soup 蘑菇面汤
This was pretty good, I think Taiwan noodles are all of decent standard. Best thing is their noodles are not like the yellow ones in Singapore. It is more of a ban mian quality, except they are lighter and tastier than ban mian. I like. Most importantly, these are noodles I can eat. Hurray! 

We also ordered the Beef Noodles, but I didn't really like them. The gravy/soup is too sour to my liking. 




Abalone Porridge 鲍鱼粥

This was mehhh.. 
I'm starting to think Taiwanese don't do porridge very well, so if you crave porridge, possibly it's better to go to Hong Kong instead. 




Crab Roe Dumplings 蟹黄小笼包

We ordered the normal xiao long bao and this, I prefer the ones with crab though. 
But having tasted mind-blowing tasty xiao long bao in China, I've resigned to the fact that everywhere else only serves mediocre xiao long bao. 



Prawn Dumplings 鲜虾水饺

This is not bad, huge prawns inside, but the dumpling skin could be thinner. 



苏轼汤包

This has got to be my favourite dish out of everything we ordered. 
I was intrigued by the name so we just ordered one to see what it looks like. 
They come in bite size, so I can literally pop them in my mouth. 
You're supposed to dip it in the soup then finish it off one shot haha! 
Awesome please, the soup inside the dumpling burst forth and were mixed with the egg soup. 
Delish delish! 



Verdict: 3/5

Plenty of hits but also plenty of misses, but this is definitely the place to go if you're looking for cheap and heartwarming food. There is Din Tai Fung and Kao Chi in the same district, also selling xiao long bao and other varieties of dim sum, but Din Tai Fung is too common and Kao Chi is too high-class. Jin Ji Yuan is the place where locals go for their dim sum fix, so I recommend you to visit if you have a craving for xiao long bao. 




金鸡园
Jin Ji Yuan
Yong Kang St 
No.28-1 


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to get there:

Take the MRT to Guting Station, go out at Exit 5 
Walk straight along Heping East Road 和平路 (eastwards). 
After 5 mins turn left to Lishui Street 麗水路 and walk another 5 mins and then turn right:

Labels: , ,


Older Post | Newer Post

ABOUT ME


"The only thing I like better than talking about food is eating it." Hi! My name is Sarahh and I love to eat. Hop on to my blog for an exciting journey with me.

CONTACT


Email:dream-oracle@hotmail.com

Subscribe via RSS Follow me on Twitter Subscribe to Flickr Facebook Subscribe to Tumblr

Subscribe via Email

Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Curiouser and Curiouser ?

ADS

The Besty

Search

Archives

Copyright

Creative Commons License
All work on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.