<data:blog.pageTitle/> <data:blog.pageName/> - <data:blog.title/>
Home
NYDC: Cake Fix

I've only just realized I missed out on this dessert post. 
Ventured into NYDC on a Saturday afternoon with K because we were feeling a little depressed from the morning's events. A sugar fix might just be what we needed to to chase away the gloominess!



I HEART YOU

K's cake. 
This is basically a very simple red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting. 


What is this obsession with red velvet?
It's the hottest thing now and I can't seem to fathom why. 



WHAT IS RED VELVET?!

"Red velvet cake usually surfaces as a buttermilk cake with a lot of red food coloring in it to give it its distinctive color. The exact origins of the cake are unknown, and there are plenty of theories out there that try to explain how the cake got to be red. The original red velvet cake is said to have had a reddish hue that was caused by the reaction between natural cocoa powder and an acidic ingredient, like buttermilk. You can observe a slight reddish tint in chocolate cupcakes made with these two ingredients. Even a small amount of cocoa powder will tint the cake more brown than red, however, so even if this classic recipe began in this way, it really is the red food coloring that makes it what it is today.


Most red velvet cakes, in a nod to the traditional origin story of the cake, contain buttermilk and a very small amount of cocoa powder. These ingredients give the cake a subtle, yet distinctive and delicious flavor that is not quite chocolate and not quite plain vanilla. The cake is usually topped off with a generous amount of cream cheese frosting, which adds even more flavor to the cake and gives it a high contrast red and white finish."
Explanation excerpt from HERE 



Okay now I know.
 Actually red velvet cakes have a pretty dense and moist texture. But this red velvet didn't really live up to expectation. It's a little on the dry side but the plus point is the cream cheese wasn't too overpowering. 


I've decided that I needed a heavier dose of sugar to combat the blues. 



GOLDMINE CHEESECAKE

The name itself sounds tantalizing and mouth-watering!
The Goldmine Cheesecake is actually a twist on the classic New York cheesecake. 
This comes with a solid Oreo cookie base, with authentic Philadelphia cream cheese, dark chocolate chunks, and then slathered with irresistible chocolate fudge topping. 

This cake is a dream come true. 
I love the texture of the cheesecake, it's not the silky smooth type but I love the slightly roughened ice-cream-like texture. Paired with the silky smooth chocolate fudge topping, crispy Oreo base and chunky chocolate pieces embedded in the cheese - utter bliss. 

NYDC actually has some pretty awesome desserts, I had a Mud Pie a few years back and it kicked ass. 
Maybe if they worked on the Red Velvet a bit more and revamped the dessert menu, it'll attract more dessert lovers like me. That being said, I really love the Goldmine. 



Ratings: 3/5









Bugis Junction, #02-47/48 
Tel: 6333 3161
Sun—Thurs 11.30am to 10.30pm
Fri, Sat & Eve of PH 11.30am to 11.00pm

Labels: ,


Older Post | Newer Post

ABOUT ME


"The only thing I like better than talking about food is eating it." Hi! My name is Sarahh and I love to eat. Hop on to my blog for an exciting journey with me.

CONTACT


Email:dream-oracle@hotmail.com

Subscribe via RSS Follow me on Twitter Subscribe to Flickr Facebook Subscribe to Tumblr

Subscribe via Email

Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Curiouser and Curiouser ?

ADS

The Besty

Search

Archives

Copyright

Creative Commons License
All work on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.